Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rounder Part 1

"Do you know of anyone who would want a nice dog?" That's how it started. I had taken my dog to the vet for surgery, and the vet and his staff were trying to find a home for a black lab/hound mix before his time expired and they were forced to euthanize him. They took me back to see him - they called him Rebel. He was obviously nervous and desperately needed to get out of the crate but showed no sign of aggression. We were within a week of moving to a new job in a new state and not really in the market for another dog, but we were going to be working on remodeling a hog confinement into kennels for rescue dogs, so I told the vet that I would see what I could do. I calledthe boss and presented Rebel's case. The vet had said he would give him all his vaccinations and neuter him for $75, plus get his health papers in order to cross state lines. The boss agreed, so I called the vet's office and confirmed that we had a home for him, and to go ahead and neuter and vaccinate. He had to stay there two extra days because he wouldn't leave his surgical site alone - not much time to get to know each other before the move. When I picked him up, they handed me the leash and then dropped the bombs. They give dogs a report card on their behavior while boarded. He was listed as a barker, liked to "dance" on a leash, afraid of water, and their parting shot was that he was picked up as a stray by the local police. The cop put him in the back of his squad car and decided he needed a cup of coffee and a donut. When he came back to the car, the dog had shredded the entire back seat and seat back, not to mention the door panels - some $700 worth of damage for the city. The cop was going to shoot him, literally, but the police chief told him otherwise. My parting comment was that I would take the dog, but there was no way I was paying for the damages.

No comments:

Post a Comment