Monday, November 21, 2011

Roxy Gets Another Chance

Roxy is an 18 month old German shorthair mix that was adopted from a local humane society at eight weeks old. She has a certificate of completion in obedience school, knows sit, down, high five, shake, is spayed, and very well house trained and crate trained and isn't a barker. She's currently at the end of her "teenage years". She weighs around 40 pounds and is a beautiful chocolate with classic shorthair white markings on her legs and belly.

My son called me one day and said her owners had decided that they could no longer keep her because of their 12 hour shift work and her "hyper" behavior. He asked if I would consider taking her in and doing some rehab as she also didn't come when called, and after that go on and find her a new home. They didn't want to take her to a local shelter as they were concerned about the possibility of euthanasia.

Roxy came to me with the main problem of not paying attention. I worked with her on her leash skills and recall, and in a matter of a couple of days she was walking like a champion on a leash and starting to come when called. My husband actually asked me just why they were giving her up as she has been so very well behaved here.

She improved so rapidly and behaved so well that I contacted the owner, as was the agreement, and told her that I really felt she could make this work if she was willing to take some advice, instruction and coaching along the way.

Yesterday I got an email saying that they felt their long shifts at work would make it just too difficult to take her back and to find her a new home. I was disappointed, but went on to email a local rescue that was willing to post her on Petfinder for me.

However, today I got another call asking if I really thought it could work. The owners just can't stand the thought of giving her up for good. Of course I do!!! So Roxy is going to get to go home, and I am going to do my level best to help them make this work for the whole family! So, in our prayers at Thanksgiving, we will be sure to include a prayer for this family and their success.

No comments:

Post a Comment