Sunday, April 5, 2009

Whippet, Part 2

The first day a rescue comes in is always an adventure, and if he was going to act like a kid throwing a major tantrum on medication, what was he going to be like the next day without his drugs? For two hours he paced, whined, jumped as high as he could trying to clear the fence, drooled, and then would quiet down and listen till he heard me moving around inside and start all over again. He finally gave it up, and when I went to get him, he growled and let me see his teeth when I reached to attach the leash, so I made a loop, caught him up, and we went walking. Once he settled down, I took him to his kennel, turned him loose with food and water, shut off the lights, and walked away till morning.

He had to wait in his 4 foot by 12 foot kennel till all the other dogs had been exercised, kennels cleaned, fed, and watered, and he didn't like it. He pitched another series of tantrums, the first one lasting 30 minutes. As the day progressed, they got shorter, and he never realized I could keep an eye on him the whole time. When I went to turn him out, he growled, but no teeth were bared, and he got a new name in view of the fact he was destroying the 2 x 4. We started calling him Beaver.

No comments:

Post a Comment