Sunday, June 13, 2010

Emergency Delivery

I saw her picture in a crosspost from a friend - a small Jack Russell type female with a bobbed tail, fear in her eyes, and a very pregnant profile! She was in a shelter in another state, and the animals there are euthanized weekly in gas chamber style unless someone rescues them or adopts. I had already told this friend that I had but one kennel open, and there were other dogs in the crossposts that needed rescuing, but she captured my attention, and I could not ignore the feeling in my gut that she needed to come here. I talked with our rescue coordinator, and she was okay with it and willing to meet a transport half way to get her. The big problem was time. She was running out of time as far as the weekly euthanasia date, not to mention she was nearly full term with the pregnancy.

We snatched this skinny, wormy, dirty, very pregnant young lady before they could put her down. The rescue coordinator asked me what she should do if she started having pups on the way here. I told her to let nature and instinct handle it and drive. She made it to the kennel without having a litter in the car, much to everyone's relief.

This morning she greeted me with 8 new babies! All of the pups are alive and appear to be doing very well. A quick look gave me a 4 girls, 4 boys count. We have named our little mama Hope, and she is extremely thin, but loves the menu in the maternity ward. The pups are quiet and content, so we are giving mom all the help we can and hoping for the best.

Why her? There's a plan, you can count on it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to read this good ending story.
    I hope everything is going well with mother and babys !
    Thank God there are people just like you who cares about animals. Great job !!!

    ReplyDelete