Thursday, October 29, 2009

Schnauzer Emergency


I check email at least three times a day, and here was one from a local animal control asking if we could please help with a pregnant schnauzer - a very pregnant schnauzer - as they cannot keep pregnant females with the over crowding they now have.

She obviously has been fairly well cared for. Her nails have been recently trimmed, and she obviously has been groomed in the not too distant past. The rescue coordinator picked her up and called to say she hoped she didn't deliver on the way to the rescue. She looks like she swallowed a soccer ball.

She's a miniature pet quality schnauzer, salt and pepper, with a kind disposition, very scared, but not at all aggressive. I need to gain her trust as quickly as possible because we may have puppies to deal with at any time. I sat on the floor and she crawled in my lap, put her head on my chest and stared up at me with concern in her eyes. I massaged her tight muscles, gently felt for puppy movement, and tried to reassure her that she was safe.

How anybody can abandon an animal in this condition, right before she is ready to give birth, is beyond me. It could have been prevented so easily.

2 comments:

  1. Maggie, I have never done this before so please let me know if i need to do something else. I sent and left a phone message to hancock co and haven't heard anything yet. I know they are getting ready for a pet adoption tomorrow so maybe I will talk to some one then. My guestion is, I would like to know what to do to adopt Maria? I have fallen in love with her and her beautiful but sad face. I know it will not be until after her babies are weined but I would like to make her mine. I don't want a puppy. Thank you, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, contact me at maggie_hess@hotmail.com, or email pawshancock@aol.com. Thank you for considering adoption.

    ReplyDelete